Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back to school

In honor of Adam Sandler's "Back to School" song, I'd like to remind all my fellow friends who are returning to school this fall of one word: magic.

I don't know if you can disagree with me on the fact that there is a "feeling" on the first day of school. You felt it in 3rd grade, 11th grade and your first day as a freshman at college. I felt it particularly strongly every fall semester at BYU. There is just something about being on campus in your new outfit, with a new schedule of classes and a total excitement for the beautifully difficult, adventurous and life-changing semester ahead. (Confession: I was always excited for the new route I had to take across campus. New route = new cute guys to scope out. I can't believe I'm confessing this.)

I will miss watching the obvious difference between the wide-eyed freshmen and the harried married seniors as well as the gorgeous trees and flowers on campus making BYU's campus one of the most beautiful in the country. My little sister once wrote in regard to her feelings on being back on campus, "My heart is bursting and it kind of hurts; I want to stop and have a personal dance party; why can't I bis bis every person I see on campus and tell them I love them? In fact, why can't we bring bis bis to America? I feel like there would be much less conflict and stealing were we to instigate bis bis in the U.S. of A." I couldn't agree more, my darling little sister.

So, wherever you are, whichever campus you are walking on this coming fall, remember what you are doing. Remember this time will only last so much longer... and when it is done, you'll miss it. I do.

But, there is a time and a place for everything. I loved and completed my time at BYU. I don't regret a thing. I'm moved on to the next thing now. I have a full-time job that I just started last week, with which I am absolutely in love. I couldn't ask for a better boss or coworkers. I work directly across the street from Temple Square and my window looks out at the Temple and Assembly Hall. I get to wear a badget on my belt to get me up and down the elevator- for some reason that makes me feel really cool.

Summer, I love you. I'll miss you. But, Fall, welcome back. I've missed you.

5 comments:

  1. "If I had your address, I'd mail you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils." name that movie.
    I adore the feeling of fall and studiousness combined! This is helping me get a little more excited... even though this has been a summer for the books ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha love this! i LOVE new school supplies. especially new crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a lot of success in your new job. Generally it is nice to hear you are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've Got Mail! Love that flick. :)
    I totally remember that new semester excitement. And, I completely agree with the new walking route = new guys to scope out. Oh yea, those were such fun days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love new semesters, and learning, and new outfits. I love this! I am glad someone else felt like the first day of school was magic. Remember walking across campus our first fall and looking at the leaves falling and thinking, hey we are in college. Great times, I guess we will sorta get that feeling when we will send our kids to school.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting AE Jones: The Blog! I absolutely love hearing from you. Don't forget to "follow" me so I can "follow" you as well! Loves!