Thursday, November 4, 2010

An armful of books and hopes for a vintage apron



So, I work for a publishing company, right? Today, just before eleven o'clock, I got an email saying: "Free books! 11:00!" Seconds after that email went out, the elevator was dinging and people were getting off on my floor [yes, I own the 8th floor] and forming a long line, waiting to get into the conference room where said books were lying wait for us.

FREE BOOKS. If you don't know me, and even if you do know me, I'm not sure if you know how giddy those two words together make me. I tried to remain calm, but when I walked in that room, my eye started to twitch [not really] and I couldn't hold back. At least three arm-fulls later, I was satisfied.





Now, just to be clear, these books are not published by the company where I am employed. They were pre-published books from other publishing companies. Cook books. Decorating books. Childrens books. [I got this amazing Thai cook book... I'm excited out of my mind to try a recipe from it.] All I need now is one of those flirty aprons to make me look professional. Or I might go for a vintage, Grandma-made apron. Those are the best. [Isn't that picture great?!]














Needless to say, I'm incredibly excited. One life goal is to build a floor to ceiling bookshelf, and be able to fill it up with my books.[Just like in the picture...ladder included.] I'm on my way. With all of the books I own right now, I could probably fill up half of those shelves. [Fortunately, one of the books I grabbed today is a "how to" on building wooden closets and shelfs. I'm set.]






And when I invite you over to my house for a summer dinner party with deliciously-healthy food and gorgeous decorations, why yes, you will have a cleverly-folded napkin, because I now have a book that will teach me how to fold napkins.





6 comments:

  1. Very cool! I don't read nearly as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to meet my Grandmother. And I mean that in the best way. She has books on folding napkins and shelves from floor to ceiling with an amazing apron collection, not to mention she is 91 and amazingly lucid and active! My favorites are her etiquette books from the 1930s. I love books too! Though I hate moving, every time I open up the boxes of books I have, it is like Christmas all over. "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, Andy - loved your comment. I already love your Grandmother. Etiquette books from the 1930s? Awesome. Love the dog quotation, too! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have gone nuts! Imagine Belle when she first sees the huge library in Beast's castle. That's what I want for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! best comment "yes i own the 8th floor" aw come back to california!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting AE Jones: The Blog! I absolutely love hearing from you. Don't forget to "follow" me so I can "follow" you as well! Loves!