Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Smokey, with a chance of singed hair...

Like everyone else, I have my morning "getting ready" routine:

1. Roll out of bed
2. Grab my clothes [I usually choose what I'm going to wear the night before so I don't spend an hour trying on eight different outfits to find the perfect one... yes, I'm saying this from experience. Although, I think eight is the highest number of wardrobe changes I've made.]
3. Shower [This might just be my favorite part of the day - I LOVE my shampoo - Aveda products, anyone?]
4. Get dressed
5. Makeup
6. Hair

This is where my little vignette enters:

I decided to straighten my hair this morning which means I apply the use of a round brush and blow dryer to my sporadically curly hair. I pin part of my hair on top of my head so I can straighten the bottom layers. As I was merrily singing to my music and round-brushing, my nose started to twitch. What in the world was that smell?

I turned off my hair dryer because I thought it smelled like something was burning. [Insert Ralphy's high-pitched voice: "It smells like burning!"] I looked in the mirror and noticed something in my hair - a spider? Did I accidentally leave a bobby pin in my hair over night? I looked closer - nope. Neither. I reached up and gently touched the blackened curly mass. I tugged at this chunk of hair I was blowdrying and it fell out.

People: I burned a chunk of hair off. Burned. A. Chunk. Of. Hair. Off.

*Insert hideous monster sound or Brian Reagan's "I am not an animal" bit here.* [Skip to the 5:00 minute mark to understand what point I'm making.]

I burned a chunk of hair off! I guess my blow dryer was too hot and I was holding it too close to my hair. Let this be a lesson for you.

So, I now walk around with my hair in a pony tail all day. [Not really... but I could definitely show you the chunk of hair missing.] My hair stylist is going to love me. "Oh, don't mind that, I just BURNT A CHUNK OF HAIR OFF."

9 comments:

  1. This makes me feel so much better about my stupidity. I got highlights a while ago, and there was one that was just too stripey and skunk looking. So, I cut a small piece of hair out.

    Fast forward to three months later, and I look like Alfalfa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um that is awful. I hope you aren't too terribly traumatized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina - I am laughing SO hard right now! That is CLASSIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash, I've actually done that before too. Welcome to the club :) but a hilarious story, no less!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, burnt hair is the worst.

    A few summers ago I spent the 4th of July with my ex bf. The idiot that he was, he got drunk, played with fireworks and SHOT ONE INTO MY HAIR.

    Worst smell ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! This is hilarious, I say that knowing that you will still look gorgeous even with burnt hair. I didn't even that you could burn your hair with a blow dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Michelle - that is horrible!! I would have totally freaked out. Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad.

    @Kristina - you are TOO kind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally burned off a chunk of my hair recently. With (wait for it...) my hair dryer and round brush! I didn't even get to the flat iron. There is now a 1 inch lock that is cleverly hidden beneath my curls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting AE Jones: The Blog! I absolutely love hearing from you. Don't forget to "follow" me so I can "follow" you as well! Loves!